A healthy Middle Eastern classic, white beans with meat cooked in tomato sauce and served with white rice…
You need to try this delicious white beans dish with meat cooked in tomato sauce, and you can thank me later! This is a wonderful dish that my mom used to cook ever since we were little. Now I cook it for my family. My husband as well as my children love it. I’ve never imagined that kids could love white beans, because I remember being a picky eater myself, but with this recipe, they actually do love it and ask me to make it over and over again.
With the busy lifestyle that I have, I find myself running from one place to another all day long. From finishing work, taking and picking my son from school, taking care of my 2 year old daughter, dropping kids at their activities, taking them to play in the park, doing grocery shopping, to going through the usual bedtime routine and preparing everything for the day to come, I have little time left for anything else. After such a day, I still need to make dinner . And I do care that my family end the day with a healthy meal. So to make my life easier, my sister, Diana, introduced me to this miracle gadget; Redmond Multicooker. It’s something that I can’t imagine myself living without! I cook so many different dishes using my Multicooker now, such as this Middle Eastern white bean dish. Because it has the slow cooker option, I put all ingredients together earlier during the day or even sometimes in the morning, I press the button, let it slowly cook while I spend my day doing whatever needs to be done. Then early in the evening, we all sit around the table and enjoy the fabulous warm dinner.
It’s also great for keeping the food warm. After cooking food, it keeps it warm till the time it’s served. So when you’re ready to serve the food, it’s as warm as if you’ve just cooked it. A very handy option, isn’t it?
White beans are considered superfoods, as they are rich with minerals, vitamins, proteins and fiber. Moreover, they are rich in antioxidants and therefore have anticancer properties.
If you make this recipe and decide to post a picture on Instagram, please don’t forget to use this hashtag #LittleSunnyKitchen as I would love to see your creations!
- 2½ cups dry white beans, soaked in warm water overnight with a 1 tsp. of bicarbonate of soda or 1 kg. (2 lbs.) canned white beans
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- ½ kg. (1 lb.) beef or mutton cubes for stew
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1 Tbs. pepper paste
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½. all spice
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. dried rosemary
- ½ tsp. cumin (optional)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 5 cups hot water
- Heat the oil in a cooking pan and fry onions until pale in colour. Add the meat cubes and continue frying until the meat changes colour.
- Add salt, pepper, spices, rosemary, sugar, tomato and pepper paste. Add hot water and cook the meat until soft.
- Wash and drain the beans and add to the meat texture. Adjust the salt and pepper. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. Cover and cook until the beans are softened.
- Serve with white rice aside.
- Note: Cumin would give a special taste to this dish. This dish could similarly be made with chicken or sausages.
This post is in collaboration with Redmond. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Little Sunny Kitchen happen. All opinions are my own.