Perfectly golden and crispy chicken tenders served with sweet and sour sauce…
As summer has started I’ve been cooking lots of light and colourful dishes. One of my favourite things about the summer is the food, as it becomes lighter and the colours get brighter. I also spend less time in the kitchen, because who wants to stay in and cook all day in the kitchen and miss all the fun? So in the Summer I tend to cook more of these quick and easy dishes that all of us can enjoy!
I was experimenting with chicken tenders the other day, that I wanted to serve with sweet and sour sauce. And from the first try, I got the chicken just right with the perfect crisp, colour and taste! The secret to the perfect crispy chicken is baking it in the oven with butter. But to make it really tasty and achieve the right colour I’ve used Bertolli with Butter & Olive Oil block, not just regular butter. If you still haven’t tried it yet, I strongly recommend that you do. The Bertolli with Butter & Olive Oil block has been created for foodies like me and you, to make the most of the delicious taste of butter with the goodness and cooking performance of the Italian olive oil.
The Bertolli with Butter & Olive Oil block is perfect for cooking all kinds of dishes. I like to use it to make pasta dishes, browning chicken, to sauté vegetables or even cooking meat and fish.
I love the taste of butter and cooking with butter in general. It really does make everything taste better, doesn’t it? I’m also a huge fan of olive oil. This Bertolli block is a combination of both, what’s so special about it is that you can cook with it at high temperatures without worrying about the fact that the butter might burn. It’s also a healthier alternative to regular butter, which is always a plus!
The sweet and sour sauce is also very easy to make. Of course you can buy a ready made sauce, but making it from scratch is much easier than you may think. All you need is water, cornstarch, pineapple chunks and juice, white vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup and soya sauce.
To make the sauce, in a small bowl whisk the water with the cornstarch and set aside. Then in a small sauce pan, combine the rest of the ingredients and on medium heat bring to a boil. Add the water with the cornstarch mixture, and cook for a couple of minutes until sauce is thickened.
This recipe is a healthier alternative to deeply fried chicken tenders, and it definitely tastes much better with the Bertolli with Butter & Olive Oil. If you decide to try my recipe and post a picture, please tag your pictures with #LittleSunnyKitchen on Instagram or Twitter as I would love to see your creations!
- Chicken tenders:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut in halves)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 125 grams (1 cup) bread crumbs
- salt and ground black pepper
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) of Bertolli with Butter & Olive Oil
- Sweet and sour sauce:
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 200 grams (1/2 cup) pineapple chunks and juice
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- Preheat oven to 200c
- Take two medium medium sized shallow bowls, place beaten eggs in one and bread crumbs in another.
- Add salt and ground black pepper to the bread crumbs.
- Dip each chicken tender in beaten eggs, followed by bread crumbs to coat it well.
- Place coated tenders in a baking dish, and place pieces of Bertolli with Butter & Olive Oil around the chicken tenders.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is golden and crispy.
- To make the sauce:
- In a small bowl whisk the water with the cornstarch and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the rest of the ingredients and on medium heat bring to a boil.
- Add the water with the cornstarch mixture, and cook for a couple of minutes until sauce is thickened.
For more information on the Bertolli with Butter & Olive Oil block please visit www.bertolli.co.uk
This post is sponsored by Bertolli. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Little Sunny Kitchen happen. All opinions are my own.