Meat lasagna with creamy béchamel sauce and cheese. Nothing too fancy but definitely the world’s best lasagna!
I remember ever since I was a little kid, my favourite dish has always been lasagna. I think it’s because my Mum used to make a REALLY good lasagna almost every Sunday, and I actually used to look forward to the weekend because I knew that we were having my favourite dish for tea.
It’s the sort of dish that everyone in my family absolutely loves, and would never say no to. Now you might be surprised but the ingredients used to make my Mum’s amazing lasagna are very very simple. The béchamel sauce is extremely easy to make, and it turns out creamy and smooth every single time. The secret behind the amazing taste is the herbs that we add to the minced meat while cooking.
Let me explain, Schwartz have challenged me to share our favourite family recipe, so here I am sharing with you my family’s absolute favourite recipe, Lasagna! This lasagna is the world’s best lasagna because 1) this is my Mum’s recipe and 2) the recipe mix that we add to the minced meat while cooking is just SO good, we use Schwartz Lasagne recipe mix. It’s very easy to use, all you have to do is empty the sachet in a small bowl, add water and whisk until the contents dissolve into the water. Add the mixture to the minced meat while it’s being cooked, and it will give the most amazing flavours to your lasagna. I love the Schwartz Lasagne mixture because there is garlic, bay leaves, basil and oregano in the mix, bursting with flavours and just what you need for a tasty lasagna.
Schwartz offer a wide range of spices, herbs, chillies, curries, and recipe mixes. You can check them and order them from their website. I’ve tried most of their products, and I use them all the time. I actually went grocery shopping today and got the Schwartz Basil and Oregano, they’re really good. Their herbs taste more like fresh than dried, I love using fresh herbs when I cook but the flavour in dried herbs is condensed which means that you don’t need to use much when you’re using dried herbs! Their Garam Masala is also excellent, I use it all the time.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 white onions (chopped)
- 500 grams beef mince
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Schwartz lasagne recipe mix sachet
- a pinch of salt
- 300 grams mozzarella cheese (or cheddar or a mix of both)
- 9 sheets of lasagne pasta
- 80 grams butter
- 6 tbsp all purpose flour
- ½ litre whole fat milk
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 cloves of garlic
- a pinch of salt
- In a skillet, heat coconut oil and add onions. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add mince, brown it and keep stirring with a wooden spoon and try breaking all lumps.
- In a small bowl of water, empty contents of Schwartz Lasagne recipe mix and mix. Add to the mince.
- Add chopped tomato, tomato paste and a pinch of salt. Let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- To make béchamel sauce:
- Melt butter on low heat, and then add flour. Using a whisk keep whisking while gradually adding milk. Add crushed garlic and season with nutmeg and a pinch of salt.
- Assemble the lasagna:
- Start with a thin layer of mince, followed by 3 uncooked lasagna sheets, one more layer of mince and a layer of béchamel sauce. Top with cheese, layer with lasagna sheets, a layer of béchamel sauce, and cheese.
- Add water to the corners of your lasagna to make sure that the lasagna sheets are cooked through.
- Bake on 180c for 40 minutes. Enjoy!
This post is in collaboration with Schwartz. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Little Sunny Kitchen happen. All opinions are my own.